Thursday, December 07, 2006

Hello from the seat of learning and buggery that is Oxford.

Last night we played to a packed house at the Zodiac Bar and I was third again...just. SO nearly second AND so nearly fourth BUT a brilliant gig with loads of people. The night before in Brighton was also a brilliantly packed gig with great atmosphere. It's great these gigs are picking up and are a far cry from the 7 or so people in Leicester or the black hole of energy sucking that was Nottingham.

Not a lot else to report except that the UK is FUCKED when it comes to wine. Well many things are fucked here, no need for cultural cringe Kiwis let me tell you and as such can you imagine walking into a bar in NZ and asking for a wine list to be told "we have red or white"?

OK OK I can't speak for Huntly but otherwise you'd be laughed back to 1975.

And last night was even better.

I asked; "so do you just have red or white?" to be told "no we only have red"!!! I mean really. I ordered it anyway, from a barman who incidentally was obviously taking a brief break from his existentialist philosophy degree and moved at the speed of Britney Spears to a MENSA meeting, and it was a passable drop, but it was no Wither Hills let me tell you.

Still Wither Hills is near Blenheim (I believe) and I don't think they would turn out 100 people to a performance poetry event so I'll stop complaining.

But only briefly.

xo

No comments: