Saturday, January 13, 2007

Today I did something monumental! I officiated over my very first union ceremony.

For those of you who don't know I am a Civil Union Celebrant. A civil Union is what the New Zealand government defines as a marriage that both homosexuals AND heterosexuals can enter into. Marriage is still the domain of heteros (though personally I don't know why they just didn't go the whole hog and let gays marry) but both persuasions can have a Civil Union.

The one I did was for a heterosexual couple who decided they supported the bill so much they would CUP instead of Marry. Which I liked as I can't actually marry people, as that's a lot harder to become qualified for and basically one of the old fuckers has to shuffle off the mortal coil before new ones are appointed!

MAN, that was a lot of legal mumbo jumbo so I'm glad we got that bullshit out of the way.

ANYWAY, it was really really lovely. Not just because of the fact their vows were lovely, the families were beautifully supportive and the rain held, but because I was the legal glue in the mix. I made it official, and that was waaaaaay cool, if I'm going to be intellectual about it.

It was really nice to be able to translate what I do, ie rabbiting on in front of people, into a meaningful setting. If you do a good gig at the classic people remember you for a few years maybe, but if you make their ceremony more special, your skills will be remembered indefinitely.

And though that sounds arrogant, as if it's all about me, it's not. It's just really fulfilling to turn talking crap into something more for other people to enjoy and remember.

OK yes I've had a few wines, and yes maybe you feel the fact you don't have anyone to say such lovely things to and that makes you slightly soppy, but either way I had a lovely time and SOOOO want to do more.

So if you want to CUP, just drop me a line, and if you want me to marry you, email your local MP!!!

Penny

No comments: